lunes, enero 09, 2012

Brave New G+ World

 

Penny Arcade Internet Fuckwad Theory

I’ve had some difficulty in placing G+ in the right mental box, so I’ve settled with “giant forum where people use their real names”. When I was in school, it used to be you hid yourself behind avatars and avoided giving up your identity at all costs. It was a world in which men were men, women were men and children were FBI agents.

Well, I guess the charade had to end sooner or later. I’m going to miss it, and I don’t think its for the best, but might as well embrace the inevitable. I’ve always had a tendency to call bullshit (also known as running my mouth, IRL) and that’s gotten me in… don’t want to say trouble, but its annoyed people I hadn’t meant to annoy. But at least I’m honest. .

I’m going to miss being an anonymous coward. There was equality in being a nonsensical nickname in an obscure forum. You had to pay attention to what people said because there were few inklings of that person’s real self.

Times a-changin’, what with Google taking over the world, SOPA and all that, I’m reminded of that old cyberpunk novel, “Neuromancer”. There were people there from before, “when then Internet was free”.

But you can’t delay the inevitable. Here’s to a Brave New World. It might not be the best, but its what we have.

I guess we’ll always have 4chan.

No hay comentarios.: